Friday, May 29, 2009

Diecast of the Day: AutoArt Chevy Impala 510 SS Concept







Now, for a rare piece of AutoArt history. This 1:18 Chevy Impala SS was made exclusively for the American market, but that's not why it's rare. Very few were made in compared to AAs normal 5000 +/- run. It's estimated that about 5 or 6 hundred exist today if that. I got mine for $50 or $60 10 or so years ago as a birthday gift from a hobby store in Michigan; now they can be had for $100-$200 if you can find one. I've found some on eBay for $70-$80, so I guess they're not TOO pricey.

The Boyd wheels are done correctly, the base B-body interior is replicated authentically and as with other high end AutoArts, all four doors open as does the hood; when the hood is opened, the modified 5.7 engine is shown, and it appears to be correct. My main gripe is the headlights; the mounting point is evident and messes up the authenticity of the car.

Since the Impala SS has been a favorite car of mine, I was bound to get one in 1:18; I didn't have any idea that one I ended up getting would be rare. As with my other cars, I try to baby it, but with age, pieces have worn, as has the paint finish. I guess it's not worn down too much considering I used to "drive it around". I'm so glad this one didn't come under my hands when I was in my destructive phase. I now need the UT SS to compliment it, but I can't shell out enough cash right now to acquire one. Darn.

No comments: