Friday, October 18, 2013

Minneapolis Street Sighting: Pontiac Fiero

I know I am back on the subject of cliche cars, (and yes, all three of these cars posted recently have been cliched, so what)but I happen to like Pontiac's little "halo" car of the 1980s. I have written about the little Pontiac dozens of times, as its probably the most commonly feature 1980s poster-child on this blog. I can't help it--I love these!

What I don't love is the reception they got when new, and nor do I love what happened to a vast majority of these little sportsters. Unlike their main competition (the Toyota MR2), these Fieros were subject to much abuse; everything from being hacked up into horrible replicas of Italian cars, to being used for scrap fiberglass did these cars in; it didn't help that they supposedly had engine fire problems when new, either.

As a result, most of the Fieros I see around are tired, and are probably on their last legs. Nevertheless, I still love them so, even if they're seen as crappy cars by most. 


First off, this example is far from the nicest Fieros I've seen; I wouldn't call it the worst, because, well, it's still a Fiero, and not a hacked-up replica. The paint color is pretty nice, and far from common, and the two-tone looks decent- albeit from far away.

Up close, though, is another matter. No paint peel, and no orange peel, but the finish itself was sort of...flat.  I didn't care for the generic Pontiac Racing badges, though I suppose its better than being debadged. I do, however, quite like the blacked out wheels; they compliment to lower accenting quite well.  Aside from minor rear damage, this is a clean Fiero, and I am glad its still on the road.

I am glad I shot this, though I haven't shot any Fieros recently. I have a long supply, and I think with the exception of two, this is one of the nicest ones I've shot in my career as a photographer.

No comments: