Monday, November 8, 2010

Boise Street Sighting: Sterling 825 SL











If you're an '80s baby like I am, you likely remember a "new wave" of British luxury saloons; cars like the Jaguar XJ6 and upper-crust Bentley Mulsanne and Rolls Royce Silver Spur twins. But what if you wanted something a bit lower priced than a Jaguar, but also something more reliable than said Jaguar? Then you got a Sterling. What is a Sterling you ask?
During the 1980s, British car giant Austin Rover decided they wanted to make a return to the United States to take on luxury vehicles from Germany, as well as the not-yet-in-full-swing Japanese luxury sedan market. They did so by partnering with Honda. In 1986, Honda introduced its Acura division to the US. A year later, the first Sterlings appeared Stateside.
Sharing a majority of its mechanicals with Acura's new luxury sedan, the Sterling lineup promised British luxury with good reliability, along with a decidedly sporty feel; changes for said sporty ride were in the spring rates and dampers, not to mention slightly lower profile tyres. With its 2.5L V6, though, the 825 was no sports sedan. All models of the 825 save for the "base" S came with real wood trim and Connolly leather also shared with Rolls Royce and Bentley. Outside, the uplevel SL gained two-tone trim and aluminum wheels versus the standard plastic hubcaps. Initial sales were poor, but in 1988, the engine was enlarged to 2.7L, thus renaming the lineup the 827 series instead of the 825 pictured here. Even with the addition of a hatchback, sales didn't meet Rovers expectations, and the lineup was eventually dropped from our shores in 1992.
I have seen very few Sterlings in my life, and I have to say, this one was in great shape for its age. Being an 825, this example is a first-year 1987 model, so I have to say this is a pretty neat find being a one year car and all. Outside, the paintwork is about as nice as a near 25 year old pseudo-British luxury car can get. It does have typical British/Japanese nicks in the hood, however. Other than that little blemish, this 825SL is a rather tidy car. Idaho, being a hot, dry hell in the summertime that it is leaves no wonder why the windows are tinted all around. The alloys, too, are in good shape, with no curb rash or pitting anywhere on the surface. Even the tires look to have been Armor Alled recently. Unfortunately, since I didn't want to appear suspicious, I neglected to look inside, but I reckon it was likely in good shape as well.
As usual, I have to give me "would I drive it" analysis; I would drive it. Probably not for very long, since I don't want to break it. If it were mine, I'd keep it in storage or something. I'd be worried about breaking any of these likely-irreplaceable exterior pieces. On second thought, as much as I find these BritishJaps interesting, I wouldn't want to deal with the headache that comes with owning and keeping up one of these rare sedans.

1 comment:

Timothy said...

https://www.practicalclassics.co.uk/articles/road-trips/the-imposters/